Our goal is to create the most accurate weather forecast, period.
On July 1, 2021, we began updating the forecasts on OpenSummit with a proprietary blend of global data from the GFS (American), GDPS (Canadian), and ICON (German) weather models, along with high-resolution data from the HRRR (American) and HRDPS (Canadian) weather models.
Previously, we used data from the National Weather Service (NOAA). While the NOAA data is great for cities and lowland environments, it limited our ability to adjust the data to create the best possible forecast for complex mountain environments with large changes in elevation.
Why is this new forecast data better than the old forecast data? The benefits include:
- Proprietary algorithm to improve the precipitation, lightning, temperature, and wind speed calculations for mountain environments.
- Provides the ability to create a forecast for any location (and elevation) to ensure that we are forecasting conditions on the mountain and not for a nearby town.
- Blending multiple global and high-resolution models increases accuracy and confidence in the forecast.
The data can be viewed as hourly forecasts for the next 5 days and includes:
- Daily High & Low Temperature
- Hourly Chance of Precipitation
- Hourly Lightning Potential
- Hourly Temperature
- Hourly Wind Speed, Gust, & Direction
- Hourly Cloud Cover %
This new blend of proprietary forecast data is updated every hour on OpenSummit for thousands of locations across the United States and we are adding new locations every day.
Here is an example of the OpenSummit 5-day hourly lightning potential forecast for Longs Peak, Colorado in Rocky Mountain National Park:
Use the links below to view the 5-day hourly weather forecast for popular locations across the United States:
Grand Canyon, Arizona
Half Dome, California
Mt. Rose, Nevada
Mt. Rainer, Washington
Pikes Peak, Colorado
Grand Teton, Wyoming
Mt. Superior, Utah
Lone Mountain, Montana
McGown Peak, Idaho
Mt. Hood, Oregon
Mt. Washington, New Hampshire
View the 5-day hourly forecasts on any device by upgrading to All-Access for $29.99/year (Single) or $39.99/year (Group). The subscription includes estimated trail conditions, high-resolution maps, and much more.
Explore Locations → OpenSummit.com
Have questions? Send an email to [email protected] and we'll respond as quickly as possible, usually within 24 hours!
Upgrade to All-Access and receive exclusive benefits.
- Hourly Forecasts for 5 days
- Weather for the past 24 hours
- Radar Map Layer
- Snow Depth Map Layer
- OpenSnow All-Access
See the whole picture for only $29.99/year and don't get zapped.