Every year, Aspen attracts a large population that travels long distances to see the renowned beauty it has to offer. While the Maroon Bells are a gorgeous site, Aspen and surrounding towns offer many other trails that lead to just as breathtaking of views. Check out these 5 gorgeous trail alternatives to the Maroon Bells:
1) Hanging Lake – Head down valley and trek the stunning Hanging Lake Trail. Located near Glenwood Springs, this moderate 3.2-mile trail is worth the effort, leading to refreshing waterfalls that spill into a turquoise blue lake.
2) American Lake – Leading to an emerald green lake after exploring through Aspen’s ridges and wildflower-filled fields, the American Lake Trail is a great alternative close to Aspen.
3) The Grottos – If you’re looking for a picturesque hike that is a bit easier, try the Grottos Trail. Located just outside of Aspen up Independence Pass, this trail is a loop that offers views of ice caves and waterfalls.
4) Cathedral Lake – Trek through the scenic groves of Snowmass wilderness up to the gorgeous Cathedral Lake. This dog-friendly trail is a strenuous hike, with breathtaking views from start to finish.
5) Mount Sopris Trail – Mount Sopris, located just outside of Carbondale, is one of the tallest peaks in the Roaring Fork Valley. The Mount Sopris Trail has perpetual views throughout the hike and a summit that overlooks the whole valley.
This article was brought to you by the Aspen Chamber Resort Association. Want the local scoop about what to do, where to go, and family-friendly activities in Aspen? Visit AspenChamber.org to find out.
Upgrade to All-Access and receive exclusive benefits.
- Hourly Forecasts for 5 days
- OpenSnow All-Access
See the whole picture for only $19/year and don't get zapped.